Saturday 24 November 2012

Abi's new favourite game...

So my new favourite game is...see how many times Abi can get lost. It's great fun. Set off on scooter, have a vague idea where you are going and proceed to lose yourself in the process. Why is this so fun I hear you ask? Because there is some stunning scenery to be seen here and if I didn't get lost I wouldn't find it. Although Shalu downtown is pretty built up, in between all that crazy chaos are some beautiful sights. Today riding up a hill, and we all know once you go up a hill you must come down the other side. Well from the top of the hill and riding down it I could see so far out across the countryside. GREENERY! I always knew I was a country bumpkin and not too much of a city girl...but when I saw the mountains and greenery it made me smile like the craziest cheshire cat ever. And then I just love when there is a small road between two rice fields...when you look out it's epic. And at only around £2 to fill up the tank, I don't mind getting lost. 

Ooh everyone uses the phrase 加油 here. It's kinda the same as our 'keep going'. It's a funny little phrase though, because translated literally it means add fuel. Which is kinda appropriate. Also asking 你吃過了嗎? (Have you eaten yet?) is to the Taiwanese and Chinese as to us starting a conversation commenting on the weather is. I stupidly never know what to say though...other than the obvious yes/no. I'm always left wondering after yes/no what more can be said...do you wanna know what I actually had?! I personally stick with the commenting on the weather. Keeping it British! 

My puppy has gone to her new home now. It's very odd not having her around. I have officially been converted to a dog person.

The children of Taiwan are beasts! In their cram schools they are the naughtiest things ever. I think possibly because they don't really want to be there but their parents make them go to learn English. My theory on Taiwanese kids, is they are cute until they are five and then they change! But the classes have about 20 kids, all at different levels, so it seems an impossible task to be able to entertain all of them! The Taiwanese teachers just smack the kids...doesn't seem to make much of a difference though. So I have come the conclusion that cram school teachers, are just glorified baby sitters! 

Side point...Congratulations to Becca R and Dan who are getting married today! So exciting! 

Tuneage of the day belongs to The Black Keys - Set You Free. 


i like to laugh at the misspellings and bad translations of things...
shoulda used spell checker...

anyone else think i need new glasses...
but look i pull off the one armed glasses look so well...
that's my crazy cheshire cat smile in case you were wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment