Saturday 10 November 2012

It's the 10th...

Today is the day...I've hit two little ducks!! Not literally, I'm just 22! I spent my first few moments of being 22 drinking awful beer with some Western friends, playing card games and beatboxing (badly). A pretty good way to start off being 22 I think! I find turning older a really weird thing. Does anyone ever actually feel any different?! 

But an interesting thing with age in East Asia. Some people count their age differently here. (But not everyone, so it's super confusing!) Some count themselves as 1 year old the day they are born. So we say they are 20, they say they are 21. They just have no year zero...! 

Today is also the day my little cousin gets married. So congrats to Reu and Zara. Sorry I'm not there but have a lovely day!

I feel like there are different cycles and stages you go through living in a foreign country. I'm sure it's different for everyone. For me at least, it's gone a little something like this...First it's all very new and exciting. That soon wears off and you find the differences very weird and can't get your head around them. Then everything weird just annoys you. Then you come to the point of accepting the weirdness, embracing it and being ok with it. I guess it becomes normal as you see/experience it everyday. I'm not sure what the next stage is...I'll find out soon enough! 

My tune of the day is Ben Howard - Esmerelda. The man never ceases to amaze me! This song gave me tingles the first time I heard it...and still does now! Amazing!

1 comment: